Your Check Engine Light (CEL) warns you that your vehicle’s computer found a malfunctioning component in your emission control system. You may see “check engine,” “service engine soon,” or “check powertrain.” Or, the light may show an engine picture, perhaps with the word “Check.” To determine the actual problem, we use an electronic scan tool or a diagnostic computer to retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC). Some common issues that turn on the check engine light include:
- Your gas cap isn’t on tight enough; we suggest checking before calling us
- Water got into your engine somewhere
- The spark plugs don’t function correctly
- Your vehicle is emitting high levels of pollutants
In any case, you should bring your vehicle to us, and we can inspect your vehicle, diagnose the problem, and provide an engine repair if needed. Leaving your engine light on can cause serious problems with your car in the end.
A check engine light appointment goes pretty fast, so stop by or give us a call.
Schedule A Regular Tune-Up
Maximize gas mileage and power, and increase the overall life of your vehicle, with regular tune-ups from Tire Works. Tune-ups should happen at least every 30,000 miles or every two years, depending on the age and mileage of the car. A tune up makes sure that often overlooked “little things” work correctly and are replaced if needed.
Here is a typical tune-up:
- Replace the fuel filter. Filters get clogged with particles and it can decrease the car’s efficiency and power.
- Change the spark plugs and check the plug wires. Bad plugs or wires lead to mileage inefficiency, loss of power, and rough starts. We’ll want to make sure you get new plugs and replace old wires
- Replace distributor cap and rotor. Some cars do not come these items, but if you have them, we can replace them.
- Check ignition system and timing. Older vehicles rely on ignition timing.
- Make needed adjustments to valves and check/replace gaskets if oil is leaking.
- Belts are an important part of the tune up. We check all your belts and replace them if we see signs of wear and tear.
- Check all fluids and top off any levels.
- Change oil and filter if needed.
- Check and replace air filter.
- Check and adjust clutch in cars with manual transmission.
- Service battery. Clean cables, add distilled water, and clean terminals.
The tune up process and service may vary from car to car or based off time since your last tune up service. Prices may also vary based on your vehicle and selected services.
For your next tune-up, call our engine repair shop and set up an appointment.
Proudly Serving the Following Locations:
- Henderson Auto Repair & Tire Shop
- Pahrump at State Hwy 160 and State Hwy 372
- 8825 W. Flamingo Rd at El Capitan
- 8532 Blue Diamond Rd at Durango
- 4690 Cactus at Decatur
- 7070 S. Jones Blvd at I-215
- 1925 N. Hollywood Blvd at Lake Mead
- 1280 E. Silverado Ranch Blvd at Maryland Pkwy
- 2220 W. Horizon Ridge Pkwy at Green Valley
- 6542 Boulder Hwy at Russell
- 445 W Centennial Pkwy at Commerce
- 7735 W. Sahara Ave at Buffalo
- 9590 W. Tropicana at Fort Apache
- 6455 S. Pecos Rd at Sunset
- 4700 W Craig Rd at Decatur